Here, we will examine 3 widely used sous-vide tools, and boil it down to one winner.
- Anova Culinary Sous Bluetooth Sous Vide Precision Cooker
- Chefman Sous Vide Precision Cooker
- Travellortech Sous Vide Precision Cooker Immersion Circulator
No longer do you have to go to an expensive restaurant to enjoy precision sous vide cooking. Sous vide tools are becoming increasingly relevant in the homes of passionate cooks. Sous vide equipment has been used by chefs for years, but finding them in home kitchens is the new trend.
Generally, they are easy to use, and give the chef the chance to cook food to any precisely desired doneness. Rarely can this precision of cooking be achieved through traditional means of baking, boiling, broiling, or barbecuing.
Anova Culinary Sous Bluetooth Sous Vide Precision Cooker
- Water circulation for even cooking
- Easily attaches to just about any pot
- Complexity is avoided with the simple, easy to press start button
- Anova Culinary App can be used to achieve the perfect cooking method
- Device utilizes Bluetooth pairing, allowing you to control the cooking process through your phone
- Achieve restaurant quality meals, from the comfort of your own home
- Evenly cooks food without having to overcook certain portions
- Cooks a variety of meals, including various meats, soups, and even desserts
- No additional devices or attachments are required
Lack of customer service if one has questions or needs help using product
- Temperature readings can potentially be slightly off by a number of degrees, leading in certain situations to under cooked meat
- Plastic part which aids the product in connecting to the pot is said to be somewhat cheaply made
Product Guide & Manual – Anova Precision Cooker Manual
Chefman Sous Vide Precision Cooker
- PTC Cooking Element cooks food to chef’s perfection
- LCD display, allows cook to monitor the entire process
- 1000 watt motor provides more power than most sous vide cookers
- Timer display with digital interface
- App included gives cooks plenty of recipe advice and how-to articles
- Temperature circulation achieved through 360° pump
- Clamp is adjustable, making it perfect for a variety of different pots
- One year warranty included with the Chefman Sous Vide Precision Cooker
- Club Chefman membership included, giving buyers the chance to hone their cooking skills through a community of sous vide enthusiasts
Some reports indicate that this product is excessively loud
- Cooking can take extensive periods of time compared with traditional cooking methods
- Timer feature has a tendency to malfunction
- Cooker has had problems reaching temperatures in excess of 140 degrees
Travellortech Sous Vide Precision Cooker Immersion Circulator
- 850 watt 120 volt power supply
- Temperature can be easily controlled through digital means
- Circulates water in addition to heating it for controlled even cooking
- LCD interface designed to remain visible by repelling excess condensation
- Smart sous vide technology prevents device from overheating water and food
- Trigger handle allows the user to attach or remove the sous vide cooker with ease
- Digital control of temperature gives cook more control over the process
- Capable of fashioning tender restaurant style dishes
- Capable of heating and maintaining proper cooking temperature within up to 4 gallons of water
- The simplicity of quickly sealing foods, inserting them in water, and handing the responsibility over to this sous vide cooker is exceptionally appealing
- Cooks exceptional steaks that some claim are better than BBQ style steaks
- Perfect for entry-level sous vide enthusiasts
- Water is quickly and evenly heated, speeding up the overall beginning to end cooking process
- Temperature gauge has been off in several instances, leading to undercooked foods
- Heater occasionally is not in sync with the temperature gauge, leading to overheated water without the user’s consent (or awareness) and thereby over cooking food
- Very loud while in use, giving off a distinct humming sound for long periods of time
- Vibrates while in use, creating more noise as well as a mildly shaky cooking experience
- LED display can be difficult to discern due to the numbers not being as visibly illuminated as they should
- Circulator feature can break after some use, meaning that the user’s water will not be evenly heated unless circulator is replaced
- Loud sounds emitted by the cooker can grow worse over time
- Play and stopwatch button at the bottom of the device are hard to read, on top of the LED display itself already being difficult to discern
Each of these Sous Vide Cookers can be great in their own right. But here we will examine which of the 3 ultimately ranks as the best. Although each cook’s experience requires different tools that are obtained through varying budgets, a pound-for-pound best product will be determined from the list of the three sous vide tools above.
In our estimation, the Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker is the sous vide device to go with. The Chefman Sous Vide Precision Cooker was definitely a close second, but ultimately its tendency to occasionally be unable to reach water levels in excess of 140 degrees renders it as slightly insufficient.
This also brings down the safety levels of the Chefman Sous Vide Precision Cooker. Nobody wants undercooked food, and especially if you’re depending on your Sous Vide Cooker you want for your meat to turn out exceptionally. The Travellortech Precision Cooker, # 3 on the list, is a good measure below the first two products in terms of capability.
Although it can be good for first-time sous vide chefs, if you’re looking for durability and overall performance it is not the product among the three to purchase. This is primarily due to the fact that the temperature gauge and the heating element occasionally do not appear to be in sync with one another.
Not only does this add to confusion, but it means that external temperature measuring devices, must be used in addition to the Travellortech Precision Cooker.
The Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker, #1 on our list, is a capable sous vide cooker that packs plenty of power and is durable enough to last over time. As long as the plastic attachment, which secures the cooker to the pot remains intact, this cooker can provide plenty of enjoyment.
The cooker’s Bluetooth capabilities only add to the convenience of the product. This gives the cook the opportunity to go about their business, while monitoring the process easily from their phone.
Products from Amazon.com
Anova Culinary Sous Vide MachineFrom $138.00
Easy-to-read LED Control Panel10.0/10
Power - Watts9.5/10
Ease of Use9.5/10
Value for Money8.0/10
- Achieve Restaurant Quality Meals
- Cooks a Variety of Meals
- Bluetooth Pairing
- No Additional Attachments are Required
- Slight Variance in Temperature to Reading
- Bracket is a bit flimsy